History

The Chirnside Park Country Club was built in the 1960’s by developers of the original Chirnside Park
Estate “Wilmore and Randall”. Once the majority of the land was sold, Wilmore and Randall
approached the local residents with a proposal to purchase the land known as Chirnside Park Country
Club to form a Club. Our original Board of Directors of the Club acted as guarantors for the initial loan
to purchase the property.

The Club has been in operation since 1974 and sat on 146 acres of land overlooking the panoramic
views of the Yarra Valley. The Club has gone from providing a modest clubhouse, golf course and tennis
courts to now offering a complete recreational and social entertainment venue.

With the course fully surrounded by houses and technology reducing the challenge for golfers the Club
sought to relocate its golfing arm to new site to meet the demands of the golfing public by selling the
golf course section to land developers.

In May 2014 after a number of years lobbying and hard work the club is pleased to announce the
opening of ‘Gardiners Run’ the new home of Chirnside Park Golf. Chirnside Park Country Club has
retained eleven acres of land on the original Country Club site comprising of a keno lounge, Tab
facilities, bowling greens, tennis courts and a fully licensed bistro and function venue.

Now operating across two sites the future of Chirnside Park Country Club looks bright with a modern
newly opened golf course and a soon to be renovated food, beverage and entertainment centre
overlooking the Yarra Valley.

John Gardiner
Where did the name ‘Gardiners Run’ come from?
John Gardiner (1798 – 1878), pastoralist and banker took out the first grazing licence in the area (some
15000 acres) and set up an outstation to run cattle called Kangaroo Park encompassing larges areas of Chirnside Park, Lilydale and Mooroolbark leading all the way up to Mt Evelyn.

A Squatters Directory from 1849 contained a list of occupants on crown land in the district of Port Phillip
with one named ‘Gardiners Run’ which was established in 1837. John Gardiner would eventually sell off
all his assets and return to England but his name remains with the opening of our new course.

David Hodgett (Minister), Barbara Kelly (General Manager CPCC) and Bruce Bower (President) Chirnside Park CC striking first ball off on new course
Bruce Bower (President CPCC) officially opening the new course