Where did the name ‘Gardiners Run’ come from?
John Gardiner (1798 – 1878), pastoralist and banker took out the first grazing licence in the area (some
15000 acres) and set up an outstation to run cattle called Kangaroo Park located on the banks of the
A Swatters Directory from 1849 contained a list of occupants on crown land in the district of Port Phillip
with one named ‘Gardiners Run’ which was established in 1837. John Gardiner would eventually sell off
all his assets and return to England but his name remains with the opening of our new course.