The extraordinary times we are all experiencing as we face the COVID pandemic require some extraordinary measures.
The measures detailed below are designed to protect our members and guests – and ensure that we can continue to enjoy our sport. Unfortunately, those involved in other sports are not so lucky! The Golf Committee and Management of Gardiners Run will continue to initiate measures to protect our members, while enabling them to enjoy our great game.
Effective immediately all rakes will be removed from bunkers to minimize the risk of transfer of infection.
Given that we are not used to playing in bunkers that are not raked the following Temporary Local Rule will provide some assistance:
When a player’s ball lies in a bunker, the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area:
- Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.
- Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One club-length from the reference point, but with these limits:
- Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
- Must be in the bunker.
- The player can smooth out the bunker with their foot prior to taking taking relief.
After playing your shot, please attempt to smooth out footprints, unevenness with your feet and / or club.
Again, with the objective of minimizing the risk of transfer of infection please take the following steps:
- All players to putt-out with the Flagstick left in the hole
- All players to take precautions when removing their ball from the hole:
- To avoid contact with any part of the flagstick
- To avoid any damage to the edge of the hole
- Flagsticks are NOT to be used to measure Nearest the Pins
- Suggest a smart phone app
- Using a club
- Using a personal tape measure
- (This may be difficult, until a more workable solution is determined)
- Some clubs are already removing flagsticks
- Your committee is reviewing alternative solutions as it appears highly likely that we will need to Remove Flagsticks in the future
Ball Washers – have been removed &/or disabled.
Drinking Fountains – have been disabled. Water is available where there is a tap, e.g. outside of toilets adjacent to 5th & 14th tees.
We understand that these measures are far from ideal, but seek your understanding, support and patience during this extraordinary period. Let’s continue to enjoy our golf – while adopting these and other measures, previously communicated by the Club and our Health Authorities.
Ray Seddon James Woite
Golf Captain Manager, Gardiners Run